Thursday, August 25, 2011

This is why I don't live in California...

Like many other East Coasters, I experienced my first earthquake on Tuesday afternoon. Despite the fact that it caused minimal damage and no serious injuries, it was still a bit of a scare. I was in the DHF office on the tenth floor of the Community Services Building in Wilmington when everything started to shake. At first I thought that there was just a big truck going by on the street. When the shaking continued, however, we all got rather nervous. Following the tremor, my coworkers and I decided to exit the building (using the stairs, of course). Virtually everyone else seemed to have the same idea, although we were not officially evacuated. We waited for a while in Rodney Square, until we decided it was probably safe to return to the office. Upon checking my email, I received a helpful (if belated) message on "What to Do During an Earthquake." Well, now I know.


Apparently, the last time the East Coast experienced an earthquake of this magnitude was in 1944. At that time, the Dravo Corporation on Wilmington's riverfront was busy building vessels for the U.S. Navy. A great image of the shipyard in full swing is available through the Hagley Digital Archives. You can still see a few of the whirly cranes at Dravo Plaza, which is now used as a gathering place for concerts and other events.


Not too much else to report on my internship. I continue to compile information on Wilmington's industrial history...although I have to admit I'm a bit distracted by reports of hurricane Irene, which should hit this area on Sunday. Thunderstorms and earthquakes and hurricanes, oh my!

No comments:

Post a Comment