Monday, August 8, 2011

Into the Wild

Hi everyone!

While I had been pulling out documents to scan, that had not been the only highlight for the past few weeks. Of course, it would not be an archiving adventure in Delaware, without running into bugs, insects, or other animals. It is interesting to work and do archival work on state park territory; I have been running into all sorts of wildlife since the commencement of the internship.

Besides the bugs, insects and the majestic herring that I have recently mentioned, I have seen deer frolicking about in the woods that surround the site. On another day, as I was driving near the site, I saw a flock of geese going by. They were right in front of my car and I had to come to a screeching halt so I did not run them over. The geese forced me to wait patiently as they took their time crossing the road. Fortuitously, I remembered my camera and snapped some pictures, while I waited for them to cross. On yet another day, I saw a groundhog standing majestically on its hind legs, but when it noticed my car approaching it darted away, under the cover of the bushes.





Canadian Geese



As of late, it has been raining cats and dogs. Hearing the downpour from inside an old mill built with a flat roof is a difference experience. From inside it sounds like the storm is fast approaching, coming closer, almost as if it could come pouring through the roof and leave one a soaking victim.

The power has also gone off again. It went off once and did not come back on for almost two hours. I guess I spoke too soon from last post (where I lamented the power cutting off). One cannot do much archiving in the dark. However, the next time the power goes off, I am prepared. I can make my way to the door quicker with the handy-dandy, heavy duty, weather ready flashlight now in my possession.

But when there is light I am busily pulling out files to be discarded.




No comments:

Post a Comment