Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Smithsonian Ramblings

Matt Small
National Museum of American History, Washington, DC

Hey all. I'm here in Washington, DC reporting from the National Museum of American History. I'm working as a curatorial intern in the numismatic department. That's coins for those who weren't aware. I would just call it the coin department and save a lot of trouble, but what are you gonna do.

It's pretty exciting around here right now. My department is opening a new exhibit called "Stories on Money" that will be opening this Friday. It's showcasing American coinage, how it has evolved, and how it tells a historical narrative. Not just American money though; there are some older coins from the classical period as well. Never thought I'd learn so much about currency in so short a period. We have a reception tonight with the principal donors and staff who helped get it off the ground. It's been a great couple of days; I was kind of thrown into the chaos with little instruction. So far I've helped edit labels (thank you Museums and Modern Technology for giving me rudimentary Photoshop skills), help with certain installation procedures, and generally doing whatever I can to help make the exhibit a success.

Today was crazy on the National Mall, though, with the shooting incident at the Holocaust Museum, which is right down the street from us. Lots of sirens and backed up traffic, plus a few worried visitors running around. For the most part, it did not affect us directly, although the whole DC and even nationwide museum community will feel the effects of this for awhile, I'd say.

Well, I'm off for now! I'll let you guys know how the exhibit opening goes. I hope all is going well with everyone. Let's hear those internship stories!

1 comment:

  1. Dear Matt, Great to hear about your experience at the Smithsonian. You really researched and worked to obtain an internship there, and it's great to hear how it turned out. Enjoy the last days of summer, Rosemary Krill

    ReplyDelete