Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Odds, Ends, and Introductions to the Newark Arts Alliance

Hello all!

Amy here, writing to you from the Newark Arts Alliance. I am just finishing up my first week here at the NAA and I wanted to share some pictures from my first week and information about events we have coming up.

Before I give you a recap of what I've been doing this first week, I wanted to mention that the Newark Arts Alliance keeps its website quite up to date and all event details and information about the organization can be found there. Check it out! http://www.newarkartsalliance.org/

The Alliance is supported by members as well as grants from the Delaware Division of the Arts. They house two different galleries, the contents of which, are shuffled monthly to incorporate new displays and artworks submitted by artists. In the first gallery (the one you walk into immediately upon entering), all of the art is for sale, and all of the artwork is submitted by members only. The second gallery houses jurored displays usually following a certain theme. Currently, the theme is "The Child in Art," juried by artist Debbie Hegedus. Here are a few select pieces which have been photographed for your viewing pleasure:

The Children Green and Golden by Jen Mrozek


Her Kind also by Jen Mrozek (this is by far my favorite piece in the show)

Boy Sleeping -- and embroidered piece by Karen Schueler


Two Creations by Rowena Macleod

The photos really do not do justice to the fine textual details of these works and their various media. Stop by 276 Main Street (we're the place with the murals lining the doorways) to see the awesome originals!

On June 3rd, we had a reception for the artists--of which I was privileged to be a part--and I was afforded the chance to meet and discuss the art with the artists. Although most of my job here at the Alliance is to research grants and help to set up various organizational systems so that other people's jobs are easier, much of what I do deals with artists and the public. During the Artists' Reception, I even received some tips and encouragement from them about pursuing my own photography. Here are a couple shots that I took at the reception (they give you a good idea of what the Alliance looks like from the inside!):

Having a spirited discussion over art!








Artist Karen Berstler's daugher (also the subject of her current work in "The Child in Art") admiring artist Karin Lang's boxes












Karin Lang's boxes, entitled, Boxed Memories of our Childhood, contain real pieces of ephemera from her and her brother's childhood in Germany. On the left is her brother's box, and below is her own.










As you can see, there are many exciting things happening around here! This weekend will be the Garden Tour around Newark--you can find information about it here. Like us on Facebook!

My continuing work this summer will be mostly in organization, general operation, and grant writing. And, I suppose I titled this post "Odds, Ends, and Introductions" because it has a lot of introductory info but also touches on the tidbits of different jobs I hold under the umbrella term of "intern." Executive Director Terry Foreman has really helped bring me into the fold of the plethora of events and activities happening daily so I feel that in the future I will have many more varied things to blog about. Last, I have began to research and collect information on possible grants, so stay tuned for more updates each week!

-Amy

(Photos of artwork are courtesy of the Newark Arts Alliance and I, myself, took all the other shots! Good as the photography might be...you should really come in and see the art for yourself... : ) )

No comments:

Post a Comment