Friday, July 16, 2010

Greetings from Dover!

Robin Valencia
Historical and Cultural Affairs
Department of State
Dover, DE

I’m currently interning at the Division of Historical and Cultural Affairs for the Department of State, located in Dover, DE. This department houses collections from museums all over the state as well as objects that belong to the state directly. In my office there are two departments: collections and archaeology. Though we are technically separate, the camaraderie between the two sides is undeniable. Listening to the projects going on around the state and learning what they are discovering about Delaware history is truly fascinating. Just in case you were wondering, visitors are welcome to view and study the collections, but only by appointment.

My current project is to catalogue and photograph the artwork collections of Jack Lewis, Howard Schroeder, and Orville Houghton Peets. Mostly working in watercolors, they each represent a different style in depicting the Delaware landscape and its people. In addition to scenes of Delaware they also worked in other locations around the world and a small sampling of these works are present in the collections. For this summer, I hope to finish all three collections and maybe move on to others that need catalogued if there’s enough time at the end.

Now some of you may be wondering why I chose to work in Dover for the summer. Frankly, I had never visited Dover before my internship started. I’d always drive past it on Route 1 on the way to the beach. Many ask me, “What’s in Dover?” when I mention that I’m working there. My answer tends to be, “Not much, but there are some really cool museums!” In fact there are some neat museums including the Biggs Art Museum, the Johnson Victrola Museum, and the Air Mobility Command Museum at Dover AFB. There’s also the Delaware Visitor Center & Galleries located at the Public Archives. From my tours around Dover, I’ve discovered that it’s a neat little city that’s worth at least a visit.

Hope everyone is doing well and enjoying their internships!

1 comment:

  1. So glad you are enjoying your internship! Historical and Cultural Affairs folks are some great people to work with. You, like many upstate Delawareans, have found that Delaware's Capital City is a treasure -- authentic history where the nation began. We love our quiet, tree-lined streets and the Colonial through Victorian architecture. One place you didn't mention was the Old State House -- truly a treasure!

    ReplyDelete